Friday, May 27, 2011

Besigye detained under colonial law


Police invoked the Criminal Procedure Code, a colonial era and rarely applied law, to stop Dr Kizza Besigye from leaving his Kasangati home in Wakiso District.
The opposition politician, however, is not under ‘house arrest’, the Force’s spokesperson Judith Nabakooba, said in a statement. She said Dr Besigye’s declaration of resuming the walk-to-work demonstration against high fuel and commodity prices – after a two-week lull due to ill-health following his violent arrest by security forces on April 28 - without involving them constituted an “illegal act”.
Dr Besigye yesterday said: “I am back here to consult my lawyers on this concept of preventive detention because I don’t know [about] it. I think court will listen to me and restrain these oppressors from infringing on my rights.”
“What they are doing is typical of [former presidents] Amin, Obote times. And I think this government is trying to bring back such obnoxious laws like President Museveni has repeatedly stated, and funny enough they have started applying one even before enacting it,” he said.
....2 steps forward and 25 backwards, perhaps?!

No comments:

Post a Comment